Thursday, June 4, 2009

Double Trouble Too

June 4, 2009


For those curious, Double Trouble Too has been a P-51D that I have seen since I was a child. Don Davidson used to fly it to the Manchester New England Escadrille Airshows annually in the 1980's, and it was a common sight back then in Nashua, NH, in the same hanger as another P-51D, "Passion Wagon ".


This plane was raced in the Reno Air Races in the early 1980's when Mr. Davidson was the mayor of Nashua, NH. He sold it off in 1990 or so to a museum in Sweden.


I got a phone call one day by a fellow aviation fanatic and my best friend, Mark, saying he saw Double Trouble Too at Sun N' Fun in 2004 or so. He told me that is was based locally in Suffolk, VA to my surprise! I scoped it out and found that to be a fact!


It is now part of the Virginia Military Museum, located in the southern side of Virginia Beach at the Virginia Beach Airport (VA42). This is a wonderful museum and I urge any aviation fan to check out.

On May 17th, I went down to their first airshow they hosted, and it was a visual delight. Many sights to see on the ground; WWII re-enactments, many historical aircraft (some of which I had never seen before, one is the one of it's kind flying in the world!) and music from the era. It was like Rhinebeck, only better!

I see that they are scheduled to have another show in October, and I regret not being able to attend. Here are some photo's that I took of DD2 from the museum, and from that show


All of these pictures were taken by myself, and taken on a Kodak EasyShare Z712 IS camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment