Ideally less than 30 days left (July 1st may be my move day!) to get the picture taken. I now suspect I will be short the metal kits, but I'll do my very best to get everything as close as I can to finishing.
Well, since only one person (Jason) answered my call for advice, and I get 51% of the vote, I decided to split the difference between the two tails. I sanded the taller tail down some so it was a compromise between the two. I just don't like the "stubbiness" of the "D" tail in this kit, but on the real deal, I like the "D" over the Cavalier's. Interesting.
This morning I put the dado cuts in the parts that needed them. I used a scrap piece of ply and two bar clamps to hold it in place while I used my Dremel routing bit and guard. I don't remember the depth but it was basically 3/16" deep.
I was a little impatient with this process, after about 4 hours, I took it off the mold and let one side dry on the porch while I did the other side. After another 3 hours, and extra steam from the iron, I removed the other side and let it dry on the front porch too.
While those were both drying, I sanded the "flight" surfaces and rounded the edges as described in the plans. I noticed some blemishes that were missed in sanding, and I'm opting to not fill them in right now, as before I apply the sanding sealer and primer, I plan on scraping some Bondo on everything as suggested by my uncle Jason, and as seen on that plane the other day. It's a toy, and it will get beat up, but I'd like it to look good for a few days!
Using Gorilla Glue, I carefully glued the tail together. I forgot that the glue expands as it cures, but luckily I had rags close by.
Gotta Love Gorilla Glue, if not just for the name!